Wednesday, March 01, 2006

In "bizarre" own world..!!

All my chances lay in catching the last train - Only to my terror, this train had an endless number of coaches, each with its own engine pumping hard and wild, all set to speed away into a different oblivion. I didnt know which coach I should get into and got to the check-in desk hoping to catch a glimpse of my name. The flickering screen at the counter kept flashing away jumbles of odd words - people called these names.. There was hardly any time left and the guard seemed to whistle a final whistle. Like athletes partcipating in a marathon, only the final gun shot from a referree seemed to hold these engines back from taking off on the race..

I gave up searching the list for the right compartment. I assumed I'd get on the right one. I sprinted off to the platform, and saw that almost all the compartments were full. I came to the first one. What I saw there stopped me - alcohol being served continuously and people dancing to the loud music.. I stopped myself to gawk at a couple clad in the best clothes, laughing away pretentiously at something not so funny.. I could not believe what I was seeing. But a young girl with huge bags dangling from her shoulders, who seemed to be in more hurry than I was, came running down the platform. I stepped out of her way, in the last moment, and avoided a hard fall..

I shook myself up, gave the people there a last sad glance, and moved on to the next compartment. The smell of coffee whiffed through the air, waiters serving groups of young girls and boys who seemed to be have been there for ages, talking and giggling and so at peace, their empty coffee cups being devoutly replaced with fresh ones, and some couples who were whispering sweet nothings to each other. I looked for an empty place, an empty seat in any group, there was none.. I tried to look for a person who might have been waiting there for me, sipping his coffee, there was no one.. I kept waiting there in the hope of someone leaving their seat. Again, the sound of someone scurrying past brought me back to my senses. I had no time to spare and had to rush..

The next compartment contained some nerdy lookin geeks, huge spectacles resting on their noses. Some burried into their books, others endlessly gazing into their laptops, and some others talking gobbledygook.. I walked past this one. The following ones had similar stories to tell. and I kept walking, always in search of the right coach. This was not how trains looked or were supposed to look, but I was not hallucinating. I did not know if there was a coming back once I'd boarded the wrong compartment, and so I walked on, for what seemed, forever..

I was tired from all the walking and searching and was worried i'd left the right coach behind. But, there was no time to go back and look. I came to the last coach, got on board, not sure again.. It was empty except for 2 more people - a girl and a guy, both as confused as me, they had got in only seconds before me. I caught the eye of the guy, he smiled uncertainly. As i sat there, I saw the red signal change green in the distance.. The engine chugged, the metal of the wheels clicked against the rails.. As the train started to go forward, we saw the engines of other coaches puff their way down diffrent tracks. Unlike its three passengers, our engine seemed to know its way. It took on full speed, zoomed past a slow coughing engine, whirled around a corner and shot off into some dark woods.. And this is where began the journey..!!


whew..!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home